Friday, June 20, 2008

Beauty

This is Emmylou Harris. She's a singer and songwriter. You may have heard of her. Over the course of a 40-year career she's recorded 20+ albums, nearly all of them very good, a few of them astoundingly great, and she's responsible, more than any other person, for introducing all the rock 'n rollers to the wonders of country music. She thinks nothing of mixing up Bruce Springsteen and Stanley Brothers songs, back to back. She has a brand new album out (yes, another very good one) called All I Intended to Be.

But that's not what I wanted to write about. It's not her fault that she's beautiful. We work with the cards we're dealt, but man, she was dealt a bunch of aces. This woman is 61 years old. And she's flat-out beautiful.

On numerous occasions people have met my wife Kate and commented, "Wow, you kind of look like Emmylou Harris." She doesn't really, or if she does it's a vague resemblance. But I'm no fool. Can I just say that I'm a lucky guy?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think my comment went through, so apologies if I'm repeating.

Emmylou's got nothin' on Kate.

Matt Nightingale said...

I love Emmylou... Her latest has crept up on me, even though at first it was lost in a flood of new releases from Coldplay, Sam Phillips, Aimee Mann... But now... Gosh, I think "Hold On" is the most beautiful song I've heard in a long time. One of the highlights of my concert-going life was seeing Emmylou and Spyboy in San Diego at a gorgeous outdoor venue called Humphrey's By the Bay. She's an amazing example of maturing gracefully and actually getting better with age!

St. Izzy said...

I'm probably one of the people who has made that statement, and let me say right here and now that your wife has better eyes.

Izzy
sucker for Emmylou