Thursday, March 14, 2019

Don and Don


Not-so-veiled threats and old-fashioned thuggery not seen in a Don since Corleone:

"If you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of them, would you? Seriously, OK? Just knock the hell ... I promise you I will pay for the legal fees."
- Donald J. Trump, February 1, 2016

"Get him out. Try not to hurt him. If you do, I'll defend you in court. Don't worry about it."
- Donald J. Trump, February 19, 2016

"If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people - maybe there is, I don't know."
- Donald J. Trump, August 9, 2016

"Law enforcement, military, construction workers, Bikers for Trump -- how about Bikers for Trump? They travel all over the country. They got Trump all over the place, and they’re great. They've been great. But these are tough people. These are great people. But they’re peaceful people, and Antifa and all -- they’d better hope they stay that way. I hope they stay that way. I hope they stay that way."
- Donald J. Trump, September 22, 2018

"Any guy that can do a body slam, he is my type!"
- Donald J. Trump, October 15, 2018, in reference to Rep. Greg Gianforte's attack on a reporter

"I have the support of the police, the support of the military, the support of the Bikers for Trump – I have the tough people, but they don’t play it tough until they go to a certain point, and then it would be very bad, very bad."
- Donald J. Trump, March 14, 2019

"The President in no way, form, or fashion has ever promoted or encouraged violence."
- Grima Wormtongue, June 2017

This is the technique: Say the most outrageous shit imaginable, shit that would get you fired from any workplace in America. Tiptoe right up to the brink of assault and battery and murder threats. And then back away a step. Give yourself a semi-plausible out. I hope they stay that way. Then it would be very, very bad. Yoogely bad. Who, lil’ ol’ me? Why, I don’t know what you’re talking about.

This is an evil man. It boggles my mind that people who call themselves Christians support him. I want a new faith. This one isn't working very well. 

2 comments:

Andy Whitman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andy Whitman said...

I'm still waiting for a single, recognizable Christian leader - just one - to say something like this:

"I don't care who you voted for. I don't care if you're in favor of or opposed to her emails, and Benghazi, and Pizzagate, or what have you. But you should know that Jesus is opposed to hate speech. Jesus is opposed to threats of assault and battery and murder against human beings who were made in the image of God. And so I, as (RecognizableChristianLeaderName>, stand against the remarks made by the President of the United States yesterday for the simple reason that his views are opposed to the teachings of Jesus and the Christian Church."


See, it's easy. Feel free to copy and paste and substitute your own name, Recognizable Christian Leader. Just one person doing so would make me feel a little better about the sorry state of the contemporary Christian Church in America, and would leave me, irrationally, filled with the sense that the whole pharisaical lot wasn't sold out to principles that Jesus would abhor