Monday, September 12, 2005

Two Beatific Sightings in One Day

Tomorrow I expect to be the recipient of two beatific visions. This could be better than Lourdes and/or Fatima. I'll let you know how it turns out.

1) The new Sigur Ros album (Takk) will be released, the first since the unpronounceable ( ) and the only album with any real shot for me of displacing Sufjan Stevens' Illinois as Best Album of 2005. I expect to listen to the angelic warblings at full volume as I race up the freeway tomorrow night to see and hear:

2) Sufjan Stevens, who will be playing in Cleveland. The last time I saw Sufjan was in April, when he cocked his head slightly in a beatific way and played the banjo while wearing a swan costume, an event which inexplicably did not cause me to bludgeon my head against the nearest hard surface. It was, in fact, beatifically beautiful, and I'm expecting more of the same, only in a University of Illinois cheerleader outfit this time. Given that, he'll have to work hard to achieve the beatific vision, but with that music, he's got a shot. I'm really getting too old to do these roadtrips, arriving home at 3:00 and rising at 6:00 to go to work. But one does what one has to do for the beatific visions.

No comments: