Thursday, July 24, 2008

Favorite Songs of the First Half of 2008

Just because ...

Adele – Hometown Glory
Marco Benevento -- Atari
Black Francis – When They Come to Murder Me
Blind Pilot – Oviedo
Bon Iver – Creature Fear
The Botticellis – Up Against the Glass
Hayes Carll – She Left Me for Jesus
Centro-Matic – The Rat Patrol and DJs
Firewater – Borneo
Tim Fite – Sing Along
Fleet Foxes – White Winter Hymnal
Fleshtones – First Date (Are You Coming on to Me?)
Johnny Flynn and the Sussex Wit – Shore to Shore
Frightened Rabbit – Head Rolls Off
Jacob Golden – Out Come the Wolves
Al Green/Corrinne Bailey Rae – Take Your Time
Hacienda Brothers – A Lot of Days Are Gone
Hayseed – God Shaped Hole
Headlights – Get Your Head Around It
Malcolm Holcombe – Goin’ Downtown
The Hold Steady – Constructive Summer
Jolie Holland -- Palmyra
Jamey Johnson – The High Cost of Living
Scott Kempner – Beyond the Pale
Chris Knight – Crooked Road
Amos Lee – Won’t Let Me Go
Man Man – The Ballad of Butter Beans
Adam Marsland – My Kickass Life
Mercury Rev – Dream of a Young Girl as a Flower
Old 97’s – No Baby I
Portishead -- Silence
Matthew Ryan – Dulce et Decorum Est
Mando Saenz – Wrong Guy
Shearwater – On the Death of the Waters
Sigur Ros -- Gobbledigook
Son Lux – Stand
Sun Kil Moon – Moorestown
Watermelon Slim – Archetypcal Blues No. 2
Steve Winwood – Dirty City

New and great albums are on the way from Lucinda Williams, Ezra Furman and the Harpoons, and The Broken West.

4 comments:

Trip McClatchy said...

Andy - cool list. Nice to see Scott Kempner getting some love. I'd "Frankie's Gun" by The Felice Brothers.

I'm really looking forward to that Ezra Furman disc - I saw them in Philly a couple weeks ago and the new songs sounded fantastic.

Nick said...

Yeah, great list. I especially like the Son Lux (thanks for the intro!), and Frightened Rabbit's album is one of my favorites of year so far.

Anonymous said...

I just purchased Son Lux's "At War With Walls and Mazes" because of that song. Thanks for the heads up...

And I'd like to add that I've found it hard to remove Fleet Foxes' album from my car's CD player for weeks. So good. I'd have to go with "Ragged Wood" from them...

Bobby Rockit said...

What a fantastic list...well done. Just discovered your site by Googling Ezra Furman...any friend of theirs is a friend of mine...and Jolie Holland, the Fleshtones...you are very smart my friend. I will definately be checking out any picks you have that I haven't yet heard. You seem to have excellent tastes.