Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Country Duets

Josh Jackson, editor of Paste Magazine, just posted a list of his favorite 10 country-rock duets on the Paste website. Good times, I tell you. There's nothing better than music nerds sitting around in coffee-stained t-shirts debating the Top 10 male/female country duets. And eating pork rinds.

Here's my list. Some of these are better classified as "country" than "country-rock," but there you go.

10) You're Running Wild -- Buddy and Julie Miller
9) Just Between the Two of Us -- Merle Haggard and Bonnie Owens
8) Darkest Hour is Just Before Dawn -- Emmylou Harris and Ricky Skaggs
7) We Could -- John Prine and Iris Dement
6) Holding on to Nothin' -- Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton
5) Dirty Little Texas Story -- Chip Taylor and Carrie Rodriguez
4) Jackson -- Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash
3) We Loved It Away -- George Jones and Tammy Wynette
2) Party Time -- Caitlin Cary and Thad Cockrell
1) The Angels Rejoiced in Heaven Last Night -- Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris

What are yours?[1]

[1] Anyone posting the words "Kenny" or "Rogers" will be automatically banned from future comments on my blog.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So hard to pick, but high on the list is Steve Earle/Emmylou-Can't Remember if We Said Goodbye. Just RIP my heart out.

Anonymous said...

Chip Taylor and Carrie Rodriguez are definitely my favorite duo.

Mike G said...

"Keep Your Distance" and "Rock, Salt, and Nails" by Buddy & Julie Miller.

Mike

Anonymous said...

<< Dirty Little Texas Story -- Chip Taylor and Carrie Rodriguez >>

I think you have a cool little list there, partner.

Especially pleased with Chip & Carrie's inclusion. I always feel a little "big brother" pride when it comes to Carrie's success. I'm sure I told you she was playing with me in Austin, TX when Chip came to my show and "discovered" her. I love that girl.

Anonymous said...

<< Dirty Little Texas Story -- Chip Taylor and Carrie Rodriguez >>

I think you have a cool little list there, partner.

Especially pleased with Chip & Carrie's inclusion. I always feel a little "big brother" pride when it comes to Carrie's success. I'm sure I told you she was playing with me in Austin, TX when Chip came to my show and "discovered" her. I love that girl.

Grant Wentzel said...

"Anyone Else But You" -- The Moldy Peaches.

In my mind, the song belongs to some friends of mine, but I still love it.

hallga77 said...

What if we happen to like _____ Chesney or Roy _______ & Dale Evans duets?

hallga77 said...

What if we happen to like _______ Price or Roy _______ & Dale Evans duets?