Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Both Girls Hoax Revealed

I have been listening to the self-titled album from Both Girls. It's a fine electronica/folkie kind of album, with surprisingly literate lyrics for people who play around with synthesizers. And there's a song about Ohio. You should buy it, and you can do so right here.

But something puzzled me all along, left me uneasy, staring up at the ceiling at 3:00 a.m., trying to unravel the mystery. There was a certain hint of je ne sais quoi in the vocal timbre that simply didn't jive with the title. Now, these are lovely girls, but they have surprisingly deep voices. And I became suspicious.

After several weeks of sleuthing, careful analysis of vocal tics, painstakingly meticulous reseach into the lowest limits that the female voice can reach, and Google searches on the term "Both Girls," I can now reveal the shocking truth. Both girls are ... well, you be the judge. Take a look at this:


I know, the evidence is circumstantial at best. These are half faces. They could be anybody. But they are most emphatically not girls. Not even bearded women can grow hair like that dude on the right. And although the fuzzy down on that "girl" on the left could theoretically be grown by a woman, "she" just doesn't look like a girl, does she?

So enjoy the album. It's a good one. But I thought it proper to warn you so you're not taken in by this hoax. Both Girls, my ass.

7 comments:

Mark Moring said...

Nice sleuthing, Andy. I think this "fan art" says it all too:

http://on.fb.me/fN63o8

mm said...

and this:

http://on.fb.me/hZ2s0m

Andy Whitman said...

Sneaky bastards.

Friar said...

I actually know the dude on the right; I was his campus minister when he was in college. Very creative young man, but as you note, not really a girl.

Andy Whitman said...

Cool. Small world. I actually know the dude on the right quite well. And the dude on the left. They're both very creative. They're also good friends. I'm just having fun. Their album is quite wonderful as well.

Friar said...

Didn't know you'd met Nathan -- and no worries; I could tell you were just having fun...

OKC Herbivore said...

I played drums and keys on this record, and I can say, I am not a girl either. I'm sorry to disappoint you all. It feels like the world is spinning out of control with this hoax.

But I am so glad to see this one getting some traction. one of my favorite things to have done in the past few years.