Monday, August 18, 2008

Top Albums of 2008?

Too early, you say? Not for Paste Magazine, which is already preparing its January, 2009 issue. And so, 7.5 months in, here's my ballot for the Top 10 albums of 2008:

1. Son Lux – At War with Walls and Mazes
2. Ezra Furman and the Harpoons – Inside the Human Body
3. Jamey Johnson – That Lonesome Song
4. Frightened Rabbit – The Midnight Organ Fight
5. Sun Kil Moon – April
6. Fleet Foxes – Fleet Foxes
7. Jolie Holland – The Living and the Dead
8. Johnny Flynn – A Larum
9. The Hold Steady – Stay Positive
10. Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson – Rattlin’ Bones

Paste also requested a list of the Top 10 Singles. I passed on that. What's a radio?

8 comments:

Natsthename said...

I've only heard some Fleet Foxes, and that fab Hold Steady record, and am getting my first listen from Kasey and Shane (LOVE IT and love that they are finally recording together!)

I'm going to check out the rest of your list, since I trust your ears!

Anonymous said...

dang nabbit, now I have some more music to buy. when will the insanity stop.

just kidding. keep em coming. you rarely disappoint with your choices.

mg said...

you've always been the early bird for the 'best of' lists, but even now in mid-august you really have outdone yourself!!

Andy Whitman said...

Yeah, Mike, it's more than a litle ridiculous. But, hey, any excuse to make a list.

Top 5 Reasons Why Making a Top 10 End-of-Year List in August is a Bad Idea

1) It's August.
2) It's not even fall yet.
3) 17,548 new albums will be released between now and the end of the year.
4) Only 7.5 months of the year have passed.
5) New U2 album, November, 2008

anchors said...

Isn't that still a tentative release date for U2? Never know with those guys. Either way, its got to be better than that turd they put out last time.
And to note, best-of-the-year lists are indeed ridiculous for August.

Nick said...

Yeah, I think August is too early for top ten lists, but I think Son Lux and Frightened Rabbit have earned their spots on the list for '08.

Morgan said...

I'm so glad to see you've listed Frightened Rabbit. By far my favorite album of the year thus far.

Joel said...

Singles doesn't mean radio any more! For me it means songs I hear on MySpace or mp3 blogs, and I suspect it's that way for a lot of other nerds like me.